Well holy smokes Batman…
… this is a useful little tip! I have just had the realisation that I can use the User Defined Language Tool in Notepad++ to enable syntax highlighting and make parsing the .log files from our game *much* easier.
Lumberyard, and indeed The D.R.G. Initiative both kick out a lot of output. Some of it is useful, some of it less so. I frequently use Notepad++ for browsing through these logs and have only just realised that I can use syntax highlighting to direct my gaze to more important output very easily.
Try this neat little trick:
- Open a .log file in Notepad++
- Click on Language -> Define Your Language…
- Click Create New… and give your language a name, I just used Log
- Add the extension of the file you are parsing to the Ext. box, log in this example
- Go to the Keywords Lists tab
- Add some keywords, add a style (colours/fonts/sizes/etc.) and check out the much easier to read file!